Our recommendations this half term are closely linked to our Christian Value – Loving Truth, and Enterprise Skill – Being Inquisitive.
KS3: The Boy a the Back of the Class by O.Q. Raúf
Accelerated Reader ZPD: 5.4
Recommended Age: 9 – 13
Onjali Q. Raúf is Founder and CEO of the London based human rights organisation Making Herstory, working to end the abuse, trafficking and enslavement of women and girls in the UK and beyond. His book won the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize 2019.
Ahmet is a refugee and has been separated from his family. None of the adults seem to be able to help him, so his friends come up with a daring plan, embarking on an extraordinary adventure.
KS4: About A Boy by Nick Hornby
Accelerated Reader ZPD: 5.5
Recommended Age: 14+
Nick Hornby‘s comic and heart-warming million-copy bestseller is a classic young adult novel (and there’s a film too).
Meet Marcus. He’s twelve, has a pudding bowl haircut and lives with his depressed mother. Meet Will. He’s thirty six, single and lives with his record collection. Can Will teach Marcus how to grow up cool? And can Marcus help Will just to grow up?
NEW opportunity for Reading, Social Enterprise and House Points!
The Reading MENtors scheme aims to boost the reading ages of students in Years 7 and 8 by providing them with an opportunity to read aloud and ask questions about their book to someone just a few years older*, but with a lot more reading experience under their belt. It is also a way to help younger students feel part of the FBS community and for older students to get involved in Social Enterprise. Each week during RealMenRead form time KS3 MENtees will meet their KS4 MENtors for 15 minutes of reading in the library and will record their meeting on their Reading Passport.
To join simply speak to your Form Tutor or English teacher!
*MENtors will be in Years 10 and 11, but Year 9s with high reading ages may be considered.
Looking for more ideas?
Watch these video recommendations made by FBS staff:
- Watch Mr Lane’s video about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime here.
- Watch Miss Santos’s video about The Book Thief here.
- Watch Mr Browne’s video about Harry Potter here.
- Watch Miss Stolarska’s video about The Red Pyramid here.
- Watch Miss Farrell’s video about Northern Lights here.
- Watch Mr Burns and Miss Hunt’s video about The Hobbit here.
- Watch Mr Johns’ video about Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief here.
- Watch Mr Kellie’s video about Earthfall here.
- Watch Miss Adam’s video about Private Peaceful here.
- Watch Mr Brown’s video about Animal Farm here.
- Watch Mr Maddison’s video about Brave New World here.
- Watch Jermaine Johnson’s video about The Cherub series here.
- Watch Mr Boswarva’s video about The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe here.