There has never been a time when careers guidance has been as important for young people as it is today. The landscape of education, training and employment opportunities that students need to navigate is more complex and more challenging than those faced by previous generations. Whilst knowledge of traditional career pathways are extremely valuable, young people also need to prepare for a future where new sectors are emerging as quickly as some old sectors are declining. To do that we pride ourselves on examining career pathways rigorously whilst developing essential enterprise skills that will ensure our students are able to adapt and thrive in these times of great change.
This careers plan sets out how the Fulham Boys School intends to provide a fit for purpose careers programme. The plan defines the available resources which will provide ourstudents with the knowledge, inspiration and ability to take ownership of their own career action plans enabling them to succeed in their chosen career paths.
This careers plan is based on the DfE document, "Careers strategy: making the most of everyone’s skills and talents 2017", "Careers Guidance and Inspiration in Schools" dated March 2015 and subsequent guidance for schools and colleges the careers plan addresses the eight Gatsby Benchmarks, in particular Benchmark 1. Using the careers plan enables us to track the career activities and interventions we provide for all of our students. Careers education does not just mean informing students about their options after school but also how their school career will affect their futures. It is our statutory duty to ensure that all students receive independent and impartial information, advice and guidance regarding all options both within the school and after leaving the school to best highlight all career pathways available to them. By helping students with decisions at crucial stages,
informing them of all their options and introducing them to the world of work we aim to prepare them to thrive as enterprising men of character who can make a positive impact on the world. Links with our Enterprise Coordinator and Adviser network introduces and ensures that each year group will benefit from meaningful employer engagement within our programme. They support the school in working towards and in meeting the Gatsby Benchmarks. To view our full careers plan please click here.
The success of our careers provision is measured in various ways:
- The Compass Careers Benchmark Tool and Audit
- Gatsby Benchmarks fulfilled and quality of provision
- Student, parent and staff surveys
- Governor audit
- Review and Development internal cycle
- External review bodies and support partners
- Student academic results - where careers guidance has raised aspirations
- Students accessing higher or further education
- Students not being NEET (not in education, employment or training)
- Careers of alumni
- Student success in comparison to previous family history
Work Experience and Careers advice
For further advice on work experience please click here.
Help with careers at the Fulham Boys School
Please click here to help with careers at The Fulham Boys School.
A provider wishing to request access to speak with our students about career pathways should refer to our access policy which can be found here.
There are a range of opportunities to allow information to be presented to students: each year group has dedicated PSHE time and targeted assemblies to promote employability skills and pathway options.
Careers Leader: Mr Morgan Browne: email@example.com Tel: 020 7381 7100
Post 18 Careers Advisor: We make use of external advisors and appointments can be allocated or requested. Please email Miss Fryer for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Parental Guidance - http://www.parentalguidance.org.uk/
- Careers Quiz with Labour Market Information - https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=2850
- Career Ready Toolkit for parents and carers - www.careerready.org.uk/parents
- Cascaid Parent Guide to Careers Guidance - https://www.cascaid.co.uk/news-case-studies/parents-guide-careers-guidance/
- Careers Advice for Parents/Carers - http://www.careersadviceforparents.org
- Success at School - https://successatschool.org/
- National Careers Service - www.direct.gov.uk/nationalcareersservice
- Need help? https://www.gov.uk/careers-helpline-for-teenagers
- icould - www.icould.com
- Start - https://www.startprofile.com/
- Careers Box - https://www.careersbox.co.uk/
- NHS - www.stepintothenhs.nhs.uk
- Careers World - www.careersworld.co.uk
- My Career Springboard - www.mycareerspringboard.org
- Armed Forces – careers in the Armed Forces
- Creative Skill Set - www.creativeskillset.org
- Disability Rights UK - https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/
- All About Careers - AllAboutCareers.com
Apprenticeships and Training
- Apprenticeships - www.apprenticeships.org.uk
- Apprenticeships Parents Guide - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/662464/Parent-Guide-Apprenticeships.pdf
- Apprenticeships – Student Guide - http://www.apprenticeshipguide.co.uk/
- Apprenticeships – Find an Apprenticeship https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Amazing Apprenticeships - http://amazingapprenticeships.com
- Find a Traineeship - https://www.gov.uk/find-traineeship
- Traineeship Factsheet - https://www.wmc.ac.uk/images/forms/traineeships_fact_sheet.pdf
Volunteering / Enrichment
- University, College Admissions Service UCAS www.ucas.com/
- Student Finances - https://www.savethestudent.org/student-finance/the-big-fat-guide-to-student-finance-2012.html
- Student Finances for Sixth form - https://www.savethestudent.org/sixth-form-college
- Which? University https://university.which.co.uk
- UK Course Finder https://www.ukcoursefinder.com/
- Best Course 4 Me - www.bestcourse4me.com
- The Complete University Guide https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/
- What Uni https://www.whatuni.com/
- Russell Group www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices
- Student Finance https://www.gov.uk/browse/education/student-finance
- Not going to University - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
- Milkround www.milkround.com/ (HE information, also including The Times Top 100 Graduate Jobs)