At The Fulham Boys School we believe that every student has the right to a broad and balanced curriculum. The Learning Support Department, led by the SENCo (Ruth Adams) work with students, parents and colleagues across the school to ensure that all boys have the best learning environment to allow them to learn and develop to their fullest potential.
Both teaching and learning support staff have extensive experience of working with students with a wide variety of additional needs, ensuring that students get the support and help they need to achieve.
Our students are at the centre of all that we do and we place a high priority on the students’ views and feelings about the support that they receive. Flexible support for every individual is key.
Identification of SEND
Any member of staff or parent/carer can refer a student to the SENCo for further investigation if there is a suspected additional learning need. Information to support the referral will be gathered from one or more of the following:
- Previous schools’ information/files
- KS2 results
- Our year 7 screening tool – Lucid Exact
- Head of House / Form Tutor observations or records
- SEN Referral form completed by teaching staff
- Examination or data collection results as appropriate
Support and Interventions
At the heart of the learning support at The Fulham Boys School is quality first teaching. Every teacher has a responsibility for the progress of their students with SEN and is expected to respond with high-quality teaching, appropriate differentiation and specific strategies.
Where students may need extra support however, there is a graduated approach with the relevant specialists.
This support may include some of the following:
- Smaller teaching groups for students with learning difficulties
- Pre-teaching and vocabulary learning sessions
- Ownwork support
- In-class support
- Extra reading support using our Accelerated Reader programme
- Educational Psychologist input
- Speech and Language Therapist input
- Specialist SpLD teacher input
- Lunchtime board games club
Additional information can be found here: